Mobile Banking Tips
Simple Steps for Safe Mobile Banking
While mobile banking and payments can be convenient, FDIC Senior Policy Analyst Jeff Kopchik said consumers should always take certain precautions. For example:
- Make sure that access to your mobile phone is protected by a personal identification number (PIN) in case the phone is lost or stolen.
- Only download mobile banking and payment apps from your bank's website or another reputable app marketplace.
- Consider installing anti-malware software on your phone.
- Monitor your transactions regularly so that you can spot and report fraud to your bank right away.
- Before using a mobile device to connect with your bank from a public area, such as a coffee shop or an airport, always check to make sure that you are connecting using your cellular service and not an unsecured public Wi-Fi network.
- Contact your bank with any questions you have before you sign up to use mobile banking or payments.